Since 1 June 2020 to 31 March 2021
HELI-HIKING GUIDING & ZODIAC ICEBERG TOUR GUIDING
Imagine a summer full of helicopter flights and beautiful Alaska backcountry hiking! This seasonal position will have all the perks of including doing what you love and getting to share our state with so many others!
Job Title: Heli Hiking Guide
Reports To: Director of Operations
Employment Status: Part Time/Seasonal
This position is responsible for Heli-hiking guiding and Zodiac Iceberg Tour guiding. Must be proficient in leading all levels of hikes, knowledge of local flora and fauna and surrounding area. Position works closely with both the pilot and Director of Operations to insure quality guest experience. Responsible for all aspects of the hiking portion of the Heli-hikes and the operations of the Zodiac Iceberg Tour.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
1. Provides a quality experience to guests.
2. Provide group and private hikes to varying ages and abilities.
3. Familiarity with equipment such as operating a motorized Zodiac.
4. Maintains and enhances a guest focused culture in all areas of responsibility.
5. Manages responsibilities in compliance with AHT/ALPHA policies and procedures.
6. Utilizes effective communication skills with all levels of employees, guests and all other outside contacts.
7. Has a strong working knowledge of AHT/ALPHA tours, processes and procedures.
8. Flexibility to cover shifts as may be necessary in other departments
9. Create & maintain strong interdepartmental relations with Pilots, Management and Ops crew
10. Troubleshoot and resolve in house guest issues promptly
RESPONSIBILITIES TO SAFETY:
1. Protect the safety of self, co-workers, and AHT guests at all times.
2. Report any potentially harmful equipment or situations to the immediate supervisor without delay.
3. Report safety-related accidents and incidents at once to immediate supervisor.
4. Follow all company and department safety policies and procedures
5. Operate equipment in a safe manner that will not lead to injury of yourself or others.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This position requires efficiency in leading guided hikes. Individual must possess excellent communication and customer relation skills.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
College education preferred. 1 – 2 years in guiding industry or equivalent experience. This position requires guiding experience. Individual must possess excellent, customer relation skills. Must be, or have the ability to be, certified in CPR and Wilderness First Aid.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to communicate effectively and professionally on a level appropriate with guests, peers and staff. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands & work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear; and taste or smell. The employee frequently is required to walk and climb or balance. The employee is occasionally required to sit and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts and outside weather conditions The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
Note: This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with the job.